What is Orthodontic exams?
Orthodontic exams are comprehensive assessments conducted by dental professionals to evaluate the alignment and positioning of your teeth and jaw. These specialized exams play a crucial role in diagnosing and treating various orthodontic issues, such as crooked teeth, overcrowding, and misaligned bites. By examining your oral structure, an orthodontist can determine the most suitable treatment options to enhance both the aesthetics and functionality of your smile.
Why would Orthodontic exams be needed?
Orthodontic exams are essential for individuals seeking to improve their oral health and achieve a flawless smile. These exams help identify any existing or potential orthodontic problems, enabling early intervention and preventing more severe issues in the future. Whether you're experiencing discomfort, dissatisfaction with your teeth's appearance, or suspect orthodontic issues, an exam will provide valuable insights into your dental condition. Regular orthodontic exams are particularly vital for children and teenagers, as early detection allows for timely and effective treatment.
Who would be a candidate for Orthodontic exams?
Orthodontic exams are beneficial for individuals of all ages who are concerned about their dental alignment. Children should undergo their first orthodontic exam around the age of 7, as this is when potential issues can be identified and addressed early on. Teenagers and adults who have experienced significant dental changes, such as the eruption of wisdom teeth or shifting teeth, can greatly benefit from orthodontic exams. Whether you're considering braces, clear aligners, or other orthodontic treatments, an exam will help determine the most suitable options for your unique needs.
What happens during the Orthodontic exams?
During an orthodontic exam, your orthodontist will carefully assess your dental and facial structure to evaluate your orthodontic needs. The process typically involves a series of steps, including:
- Discussion and evaluation: Your orthodontist will discuss your dental history, concerns, and goals, while also examining your facial profile and dental records.
- Clinical examination: The orthodontist will perform a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, and jaws, checking for issues such as misalignment, bite problems, or irregularities in tooth eruption.
- Diagnostic tests: X-rays, photographs, and impressions may be taken to obtain detailed images and impressions of your teeth, aiding in accurate diagnosis and treatment planning.
- Treatment recommendation: Based on the findings, your orthodontist will provide personalized treatment recommendations tailored to your specific needs and desired outcomes.
- Discussion and next steps: Your orthodontist will discuss the recommended treatment options, associated timelines, costs, and any necessary preparation steps. This ensures you have a clear understanding of the process and can make an informed decision.
Our team of experienced orthodontists is dedicated to helping you achieve optimal oral health and a confident smile. Contact us today to schedule your orthodontic exam and take the next exciting step on your journey to a beautifully aligned set of teeth.