What are Fixed Retainers?
Fixed retainers are an orthodontic solution that aims to preserve the results achieved through braces or other teeth straightening treatments. This type of retainer is a discreet wire that is bonded to the back of your teeth, making it virtually invisible to others. Unlike removable retainers, fixed retainers are permanently affixed, providing continuous support to maintain the alignment of your teeth.
Why would Fixed Retainers be needed?
Fixed retainers play a crucial role in ensuring the longevity of your orthodontic treatment. After investing time, effort, and resources into achieving a beautiful, well-aligned smile, it's essential to preserve those results. Teeth have a natural tendency to shift back to their original positions, even after braces or aligners have done their job. Fixed retainers serve as a steadfast defense, preventing any unwelcome movement and preserving the alignment you worked so hard to achieve.
Who would be a candidate for Fixed Retainers?
Fixed retainers are an excellent option for individuals who have undergone orthodontic treatment, such as braces or aligners, and desire a lasting outcome. If you've invested in correcting misalignments, gaps, or overcrowding of your teeth, fixed retainers can be the ideal solution for maintaining the results over the long term. Regardless of age, whether you are a teenager or an adult, if you value the investment you made in your smile, fixed retainers can be a suitable choice for you.
What happens during the Fixed Retainers procedure?
The process of getting fixed retainers is a relatively straightforward and painless procedure. Here's what you can expect during the appointment:
- Consultation: Your orthodontist will evaluate your teeth to determine if fixed retainers are the right option for you. They will discuss the benefits, potential risks, and answer any questions you may have.
- Preparation: Once you decide to proceed with fixed retainers, your orthodontist will prepare your teeth by thoroughly cleaning them. This ensures a strong bond between the teeth and the retainer.
- Bonding: A small, custom-made wire is carefully placed and bonded to the back surfaces of your teeth. Your orthodontist will use a dental adhesive to secure the retainer, ensuring a comfortable fit and maximum effectiveness.
- Adjustments: After the initial placement, you may require periodic adjustments during follow-up visits. These adjustments allow your orthodontist to ensure the retainer continues to provide optimal support and keeps your teeth aligned.
- Maintenance: Your orthodontist will provide instructions on how to properly care for your fixed retainer. Regular brushing and flossing, along with routine dental check-ups, will help maintain the health and longevity of both your teeth and the retainer.
By opting for fixed retainers, you can safeguard the investment you made in your orthodontic treatment and enjoy the benefits of a beautiful smile for years to come.
Remember, consulting with an experienced orthodontist is essential to determine if fixed retainers are suitable for your specific needs. Contact us today and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you to achieve the best possible results.